[Histonet] RE: accu-edge low profile microtome blades

O'Donnell, Bill billodonnell <@t> catholichealth.net
Wed Sep 1 13:54:20 CDT 2010

 The oil serves a valuable purpose and shopuld be found on all blades of
high quality. It protects against oxidation and allows the blades to be
easily separated from one another, so the oil has always been there. I
have personally found no advantage to wiping or not wiping the oil from
the slides. My 2cents - Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sherwood, Margaret
Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 1:27 PM
To: Laurie Colbert; Brandi Higgins; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] accu-edge low profile microtome blades

We use the low-profile microtome blades and love them.  We actually
found Thermo-Fisher's brand of the low-profile to work just as well and
they are less expensive.  We had problems with other manufacturers' low
-profile blades that had the oil on them.  However we have several
sample boxes and I will have the techs wipe the oil off and see if they
work better.  Thanks, Laurie.