[Histonet] melted paraffin storage and dispensing

Andrea Marion amario3 <@t> uic.edu
Wed Sep 1 08:45:50 CDT 2010

I do histology in a small research lab. We use the tissue processor and
embedding station of a nearby lab to process specimens. I would like to
switch to manual in-lab processing of some our more delicate samples like
mouse embryos. I am wondering what histonetters use to store their melted
paraffin when you don't have access to an embedding station.

I have an appropriate incubator, but what kind of container should be
used? I have seen metal paraffin pails used elsewhere - anyone know where
to purchase these? Is a metal container necessary or will a plastic or
glass beaker work? Are there any problems with storing paraffin (Paraplast
Plus) between uses in the liquid state, or should I remelt it each time I
want to embed samples? Anything else I should be concerned about that I am
overlooking?

Thanks,

Andrea Marion
Graduate Student