[Histonet] Plain Vanilla Autostainer?

sgoebel <@t> xbiotech.com sgoebel <@t> xbiotech.com
Tue Oct 19 14:05:55 CDT 2010

What about just a simple old school ski stainer?

Sarah Goebel, B.A., HT (ASCP)

Histotechnician

XBiotech USA Inc.

8201 East Riverside Dr. Bldg 4 Suite 100

Austin, Texas  78744

(512)386-2907

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Histonet] Plain Vanilla Autostainer?
From: "Johnson, Kevin" <KJohnson <@t> med.miami.edu>
Date: Tue, October 19, 2010 11:50 am
To: "'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'"

I am a simple man in a simple lab with simple needs. I work in a
multiple-lab research environment, typically providing paraffin/frozen
sections + H&E to individuals who then perform their own manual IHC. A
simple man, yes, but also a busy man, who needs to be freed from
staining dishes in order to pursue other tasks.

What we need: (1) Deparaffinization only; (2) Deparaffinization --> H&E;
(3) H&E only system, preferably with (4) a relatively small, preferably
benchtop footprint (current unit lives in a 30" X 33" X 34" vented
workstation). Automatic coverslipping extremely optional.

What we have: Thermo Shandon Varistain 24-4, which performed these
mundane tasks admirably until going electronically insane. It's been
denied a service contract, the production line has been discontinued and
the writing is on the wall.

What seem to be available: Special staining systems with a whole lot of
bells and whistles, designed primarily for a high-throughput hospital
setting.

Is there anything out there that would serve my needs, even if it is a
fancy system that would be slumming it here? Or is mine just too
obsolete a market? Price up to $15K, slightly negotiable. (Bench space
only slightly negotiable; floor model if I must.)

Many thanks,

Kevin Johnson
University of Miami
Diabetes Research Institute