[Histonet] Frozen sections

Maria Katleba Maria.Katleba <@t> stjoe.org
Tue Oct 19 12:27:34 CDT 2010

Question:  When doing frozen section on a lung mass (not fatty- just regular), and it chatters, what is the cause?

The cryostat was set at -26, we used the normal OCT media, and cut at 5microns.....

I prefer not so cold (like -23 to -24)   and I cut sections at 4, 5 , and even 6 to see if it would help... still chatter!    The pathologist said it looked all necrotic-like!!

Without knowing for sure if the tissue's morphology is due to its real state (ie- full of cancer) or a cause of freezing artifact, I need some help from any histotech that is a Frozen Section Guru :)

Maria Katleba MS HT(ASCP)
Pathology Dept. Mgr
Queen of the Valley Medical Center
1000 Trancas Street
Napa CA 94558
(707) 252-4411 x3689 direct
(707) 226-4385 pager
(707) 294-9229 cell- anytime

Notice from St. Joseph Health System:
Please note that the information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure.