[Histonet] Re: Urinary bladder diverticula

Robert Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 12:26:33 CDT 2010

Joyce Weems in Atlanta asks:

>>If TUR is 88307 and resection is 88309, what CPT code do you use for bladder diverticuli?<<

A transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) is coded 88305 no
matter how many blocks. A TUR of the bladder (presumably a TURBT, that
is, a TUR of a bladder tumor) is 88307. A cystectomy specimen for
cancer (resection) is 88309.

There are no specific instructions for a diverticulum of the urinary
bladder. Diverticula of the GI tract are however coded 88305, and I
would code a urinary tract diverticulum (bladder or urethra) as 88305
also.

The singular is diverticulum, the plural is diverticula. There is no
such word as *diverticuli.

If you don't have a copy of the anatomic pathology CPT codes, 2010
edition, I can send you a PDF of a scan of those pages.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN