[Histonet] PAS staining

gayle callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Wed Oct 6 12:54:35 CDT 2010

I was taught to avoid aqueous fixatives when trying to retain glycogen,
soluble in NBF.   Carnoys, Gendres fluid or acid alcohol formalin are three
recommendations (Sheehan and Hrapchak Theory and Practice of
Histotechnology) followed by starting processing in 95 to 100% alcohols.
Alcoholic formalin should also work.  It could very well be your long term
storage in NBF has removed the glycogen, although basement membranes or
fungus would not be affected. This was very apparent in a study done here
where they wanted to see glycogen storage in mouse livers fixed in NBF for
over a week and routinely processed starting in 70% alcohol.  The glycogen,
for all purposes, was removed even in experimental animals who had large
quantity of glycogen in the cells (faintly stained but not what expected).

Certainly increasing time in periodic acid and Schiffs can help.  Also, one
can increase the percentage of periodic acid from 0.5% to 1%, a hint Culling
gave, as long as this is freshly made.

However, we never use periodic acid for fungus staining, only chromic acid
since periodic acid oxidation can give false negative results with Schiffs
reagent.  This is published in J Histotechnology by Carson and Fredenburgh.

Interesting, but I still get a bright red pink color with Neutral buffered
formalin test.  I have never used concentrated 37% to 40% stock
formaldehyde, only neutral buffered formalin (fixative) which would have
fewer aldehyde groups available.  Outdated, bad Schiffs always has the
obvious purplish color with NBF.

One thing we never allow  is return used Schiffs back into stock Schiffs.
Stock stain solutions are never contaminated with depleted, used solutions.
We date when the Schiffs was used, and not reused within the week, this is
discarded. This was particularly important with human renal biopsy work with
the renal pathologist recommending disposing of used Schiffs. Our biopsy
service did not handle a large number of biopsies in a year and this was a
way to ensure consistent PAS staining by using only Schiffs.  Successful PAS
staining of basement membrane on 1 to 2 um zinc formalin or FFPE sections
were never a problem.

Gayle M. Callis
HTL/HT/MT(ASCP)