[Histonet] Re: Histonet Digest, Vol 83, Issue 4

Stephanie Rodriguez srodriguez <@t> phenopath.com
Tue Oct 5 12:56:09 CDT 2010

Barb, Eric, all-

We also use a diamond pen/pencil-and they do contain an industrial grade
diamond, so they are quite reasonably priced; I looked one up on the VWR
website (just as a reference, not necessarily an endorsement! :o) and they
run about $20-30 each.  They last a very long time, too-We¹ve had ours for
several years.

We use them for our direct IFs, FISH, anything dark field.

Stephanie

Stephanie Rodriguez, HTL(ASCP), QIHC
Lead Molecular Technologist-FISH
IHC Technologist III
Phenopath Laboratories
Seattle, WA
(206) 374-9000

On 10/5/10 10:15 AM, "histonet-request <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu"
<histonet-request <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu> wrote:

> Message: 11
> Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 10:53:36 -0400
> From: "Gagnon, Eric" <gagnone <@t> KGH.KARI.NET>
> Subject: [Histonet] Direct immunofluorescence question
> To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
>
> Barb,
>
> Have you tried a diamond pencil?  Available from a variety of sources, these
> "pencils" can be used to etch a circle or other shape around the tissue to be
> viewed.  I believe they use lesser-quality industrial diamonds to make the
> tips on the pencils (i.e. not the diamond ring quality). Coming across the
> etched line under the fluorescent microscope produces brightness that helps
> the pathologist find the tissue.
>
> We circle our DIF's on the back of the slide - it won't wash off and won't
> interfere with reagents this way, but is still visible in a darkened room.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Eric Gagnon MLT
> Histology Laboratory
> Kingston General Hospital