[Histonet] Direct immunofluorescence question

Gagnon, Eric gagnone <@t> KGH.KARI.NET
Tue Oct 5 09:53:36 CDT 2010

Barb,

Have you tried a diamond pencil?  Available from a variety of sources, these "pencils" can be used to etch a circle or other shape around the tissue to be viewed.  I believe they use lesser-quality industrial diamonds to make the tips on the pencils (i.e. not the diamond ring quality). Coming across the etched line under the fluorescent microscope produces brightness that helps the pathologist find the tissue.

We circle our DIF's on the back of the slide - it won't wash off and won't interfere with reagents this way, but is still visible in a darkened room.

Hope this helps,

Eric Gagnon MLT
Histology Laboratory
Kingston General Hospital