[Histonet] Re: Marking inks

Tony Henwood AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au
Mon Oct 4 17:57:36 CDT 2010

The following might be of use

Marking surgical margins are often required for determining the adequacy
of excision of lesions. Sometimes up to 6 margins (medial, lateral,
superior, inferior, superial and deep margins) are required to be
individually marked.

The properties of a good marker include:

1.	It is quick to dry.
2.	It is easy to apply.
3.	It has a long shelf life.
4.	It is cheap.
5.	It is non-toxic.
6.	It does not spread beyond the edge of the marked area.
7.	It is preserved during processing (no contamination of
solutions).
8.	It is visible macroscopically and microscopically.
9.	Sectioning is not affected.
10.	It is radiolucent.
11.	There are multiple colours available.

India Ink, a colloidal suspension of particulate carbon in aqueous gum
has been used for many years, but is messy, slow to dry and spreads
readily over the tissue surface. 10% Silver Nitrate in methanol has been
suggested but it also spreads over the surface and is macroscopically
invisible.

5% alcian blue in 80% ethanol is an excellent tissue marker. It is easy
to apply, quick to dry, has a long shelf life and is preserved during
processing.

Birch et al (1990) have suggested that specimens can be "dunked" into 1%
aqueous alcian blue. This method is quick, cheap and the coating is
radiolucent.

Harris (1990) has suggested the use of Tippex fluid. This is a solution
of titanium dioxide and polyacrylate in trichloethane. It has a long
shelf life, is easy to use, quick drying, non-toxic and the tissue
processor is not affected. The marker does however have a tendency to
lift and is radiodense.

Hunter-Craig et al (1991) rolled blotted dry specimens in starch powder.
The surface coating of starch is visible on light microscopy but
strikingly apparent if crossed polarisers are used.

Artist's pigments in acetone (a 50% solution) were used by Patterson and
Davies (1988). The pigments are quick drying, have a good range of
different colours that are visible both macroscopically and
microscopically (especially using polarised light) and are resistant to
processing. They are however, radiodense and have a short storage life.
It must be remembered that the dry powders (which contain cobalt,
manganese and cadmium) are toxic. The pigment granules are also of
similar size and density to microcalcification and there may be
confusion on subsequent specimen mammography after tissue slicing.

Suggested pigments are as follows:

PIGMENT   COLOUR	MACROSCOPIC	MICROSCOPIC
Cobalt Blue	Blue	Blue
Alizarin Crimson	Red	Red
Viridian	Green	Green

Armstrong et al (1990) have described the use of organically coloured
gelatines, where 8% solution of dye is prepared in 24% aqueous gelatine.
They found it easier to discriminate between colours of particulate dyes
(i.e. plant substances), with the gelatine staining with both
haematoxylin and eosin giving a pink to purple colour. They found clear
demarcation between two adjacent colours and only a modest knowledge of
botany was required for the identification of the three plant materials.

DYE COLOUR	MACROSCOPIC	MICROSCOPIC
Janus Green	Blue	Purple
India Ink	Black	Black
Paprika	Red/brown	Red-pigmented cellulose
Tumeric 	Yellow	Cerebriform starch granules
Henna	Brown	Brown-pigmented cellulose
Bismark Brown	Brown	Brown particles

Unfortunately tumeric causes knife scratching.

Armstrong et al (1990) J.Clin.Pathol., 43:604-607
Birch et al (1990) J.Clin.Pathol 43:608-609
Harris (1990) J.Clin.Pathol 43:346
Hunter-Craig et al (1991) J.Clin.Pathol. 44:874-875
Patterson & Davies (1988) J.Clin.Pathol 41:1013-1016

Regards

Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA