[Histonet] Histology opportunities in Bay Shore, Long Island New York

Silverman, Jeffrey JSilverman <@t> NSHS.edu
Tue Nov 30 09:16:43 CST 2010

We currently have two openings in histology at Southside Hospital in Bay Shore, New York. Southside is a 410 bed full service community hospital which is undergoing rapid growth and expansion adding many tertiary health care services  as part of the North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health care system.

The first position is for a pathologists' assistant, preferably who could also function in a supervisory role in the histology lab. We currently process around 8500 surgical cases per year with an interesting case mix. The three pathologists are lovely people and fun to work with. We have an excellent and personable incumbent  staff in histology. AAPA or ASCP certification as a PA is beneficial but not essential for the talented person with the right combination of training and experience, including some knowledge of basic immunohistochemistry.

The second position is for a histology technician or technologist with good basic embedding, microtomy, and staining skills. This person would function as a second histotech/ lab aide staffing the lab from 8 AM to 4PM. We process from  30 (occasionallY)  up to 120 (usual)  blocks a day currently with a light special stain and IHC load usually, though we do have our busier days. We have automated H and E stainer (Leica XL) and automated special stains and IHC (Dako Artisan). We do not do cytology in house, just staining of 1-3  FNA's a day and  the occasional cell block.

If you are interested in either position, I would look forward to speaking with you at 631 375 4505 or email me at jsilverman <@t> nshs.edu. Please note that I will be unavailable for phone contact from the evening of Dec 2 until the evening of Dec 6.

Jeffrey Silverman HT HTL QIHC (ASCP)
Pathologists's Assistant and Supervisor of  Histology