[Histonet] RE: Rusting in Pathology Department

Weems, Joyce JWeems <@t> sjha.org
Fri Nov 19 09:25:36 CST 2010

My 98 yr old mom says the golden years are pretty rusty sometimes. I guess we can just get a head start! J:>)

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Gagnon, Eric
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2010 09:33
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Rusting in Pathology Department

In our laboratory, we have also experienced this, especially with microtomes.  As Jennifer has said, it seemed decal solution containing RDO was the culprit, when used in proximity to microtomes.  Techs who used RDO for surface decalcification had more rusting on exposed metal parts of the microtome, probably due to incomplete rinsing of the block after immersion in the RDO.  Parts of the microtomes not exposed, where the acid seems to have been penetrated, included locking mechanisms and under the blade clamp.  I would suggest anyone using RDO surface decal do so by immersing the block in a shallow dish of RDO (square Coplin jar lid works well).  We now store RDO away from the microtomes.

We have no data on how the techs may have been rusting as well.  Effects may rival fixation of techs by close proximity to formalin x years. It's Friday :)

Eric Gagnon MLT
Histology Laboratory
Kingston General Hospital
Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Confidentiality Notice:
This e-mail, including any attachments is the
property of Catholic Health East and is intended
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).
It may contain information that is privileged and
confidential.  Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are
not the intended recipient, please delete this message, and
reply to the sender regarding the error in a separate email.