[Histonet] pathologists

Troyer, Dean A. TroyerDA <@t> EVMS.EDU
Mon Nov 15 15:25:36 CST 2010

It is important to understand details of slide preparation. We prepare six levels of each block/ each glass slide.
A case is prostate biopsies from one patient.  85% of the time we get two biopsy cores per container and thus two cores per block, and 12 cores total per case.

A busy day is 12 biopsy cases, 6 slides each, with six levels of each block (containing two biopsy cores) on each slide).

I am aware that some pathologists deal with as many as 20 prostate biopsy cases per day.  The detail of how the slides are prepared and screened can differ from place to place.  The experience of the pathologist also affects throughput.

The only measure we really have of QA is prevalence (i.e. are we missing cases).

Prevalence of prostate cancer in cases varies surprisingly ranging from high 20s to high 45%.  I've been in two different sites in which 45-50% of cases are positive.  The patient population being screened and biopsied obviously would impact the prevalence rate.

Dean Troyer

________________________________

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu on behalf of Johannes Koepplinger
Sent: Mon 11/15/2010 3:19 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] pathologists

Would any of the pathologists or histotechs know what the average volume of
work for a urology pathologist would be for a given day? How many
slides/cases is a comfortable workload for one day of reading, say in regard
to prostate biopsies or bladder biopsy cases (excluding vas deferens)? Also
including immunos if any.