[Histonet] Ventana Symphony

Akemi Allison akemiat3377 <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Nov 11 12:50:12 CST 2010

Hi all of you in Histoland!

I want to recognize all of you who have served in the Armed Forces.
I am an old Marine Corp Brat, so Semper Fi and Thank-you! Thank-you!
Thank-you! You gave us years of your lives and took risks on behalf
of your country. I admire you.....

Now to the question at hand...  I would like any and ALL of your
comments regarding the "Ventana Symphony".

I just started working with a laboratory that is considering
purchasing a Ventana Symphony after demo'ing it.  There is going to
be a meeting in a couple of weeks, and I want to be fully prepared
with the pro's and con's regarding this instrument.

I want to keep an open mind, but I have had absolutely NO experience
with this instrument.  My 40 plus years in the field has been with
the use of manuel H&E staining, and the Leica and Sakura stainers.
The Leica and Sakura Stainers have a solid track record, and are the
recognized leaders in the field.

I have been informed by the AP manager, who is a (PA), that the
Ventana Symphony is Green, and that was a very attractive feature for
her.  Right off the bat, I recognized the following issues:
Cost of instrument and solutions
Proven Track Record?
Huge Footprint
Proprietary Solutions?  How can I troubleshoot any issues that may
arise???  Also, how do I know these solutions are "GREEN" if the
ingredients are not disclosed?
California is extremely rigid to disposal of ALL solutions!

Having worked in both the Clinical and Biotech arenas, I can see both
sides to the issue of "Proprietary Ingredients".   Biotech companies
do not want to disclose the ingredients because they do not want to
lose the edge on sales.  I developed numerous products with formulas
that stated "Proprietary Ingredients" because I was told by my CEO to
omit certain ingredients and state "Proprietary Ingredient" .  The
end-user becomes reliant on your expertise for troubleshooting, thus
creating sales....  Also, these companies do not want the competition
to know the ingredients because they can duplicate the product.
Trust me, I used to reverse engineer numerous products from our
competition and create a new product for sale!

I realize it is extremely difficult to break into the field when you
are introducing a new product or instrument.  Ventana tried to
introduce a Tissue Processor back in the late 90's early 2000 with
little success.  Perhaps, Ventana has a great instrument with the
Symphony.  I would appreciate your comments.  Thank you in advance
for your input!

Akemi Allison BS, HT (ASCP) HTL
Director
Phoenix Lab Consulting