[Histonet] Frozen section ...HELP

Monfils, Paul PMonfils <@t> Lifespan.org
Mon Nov 8 08:14:09 CST 2010

Hopefully you removed the antifreeze (alcohol) before freezing? :-) I
have run into this a few times. I work in a core facility where people
send me samples from all over.  Recently someone sent me some samples
fixed in Histofix, which is a commercially available aqueous fixative.
But they neglected to tell me they add 15% ethanol to the commercial
solution.  I froze all the samples in OCT compound, but they could not
be sectioned.  I had to melt them all, soak them in several changes of
buffer for several hours to remove the OCT and the methanol, then put
them in fresh OCT and refreeze them.  And that was only 15% alcohol, not
70%!