[Histonet] Paraffin liver sections

Victoria Baker bakevictoria <@t> gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 06:37:37 CDT 2010

Hi -

Whole mouse livers do not need to be fixed for 72 hours given the process
you described.  The protocol I followed for fixation of whole mouse organs
was within 24 hours, also when processing I started at 70% etoh, I also
included a 50/50 ratio of abs/xylene mix for my first clearing as it was not
as harsh on smaller tissue samples.  The times and heat on a processor will
turn this tissue very brittle if not handled correctly.  If you can get a
better description of his processing this would be a help.

When cutting trimming and soaking on ice will help, but if you put the block
into warm water for about 30 to 45 seconds and then put it onto an ice
slurry will also rehydrate the block enough to get a decent section as
well.

I hope this helps.

Vikki