[Histonet] Paraffin liver sections

Pamela Marcum mucram11 <@t> comcast.net
Thu Nov 4 13:23:02 CDT 2010

What is your processing schedule for the livers?  It is hard to know without that information.

Pam Marcum

UAMS

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam ." <anonwums1 <@t> gmail.com>
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Thursday, November 4, 2010 1:08:03 PM
Subject: [Histonet] Paraffin liver sections

Dear all,

One of my colleagues has consulted me about some paraffin embedded mouse
livers he's been trying to cut. They were fixed in neutral buffered formalin
for 3 days and then processed and embedded into paraffin. He was trying to
cut 5 uM sections on our microtome, except as soon as the blade hit the
liver, the liver would start to roll up and collapse into a small sliver,
and you'd just get sections of paraffin with a hole where the liver should
be. We tried changing cutting angle and soaking the blocks in ice water with
no success. This is the first time we've tried livers, but we routinely cut
decalcified bones on that microtome and have never seen that. Any ideas on
what is going on?

Thanks,
Adam