[Histonet] trouble in BrdU IHC for brain samples

shymaa shawadfy sshawdfy <@t> med.kobe-u.ac.jp
Thu May 27 21:10:19 CDT 2010

Dear Histonet members

I am having great trouble in my BrdU IHC in mice brain samples. I am trying
to establish a protocol for paraformaldehyde fixed - paraffin embedded
sections. I cut samples at 6 μm thickness.

Few times I got good nuclear stain but other times using the same protocol I
fail to get any signal. In addition to high background

I used microwave oven for antigen retrieval (citrate buffer) in addition 2 N
HCl for 60 min at 37 degrees.  Using 2N HCl alone produced weak signal. I
also tried combining pepsin digestion with HCl but I did not get any signal
and my tissues were over digested. And now I think that I will stick to
water bath at 98 degrees for 40 min instead of the microwave.

Blocking is 2 % BSA + 2% NGS in PBS T

I used BD bioscience anti BrdU  at 1:100 dilution , then biotin conjugated
anti mouse , vector ABC kit and color development with DAB with Nickel
enhancement.

Do you have any suggestions?

I read that we can also use 0.07 N NaOH to enhance the antibody reactivity;
can you please tell me the protocol?

 Thank you

Shymaa