[Histonet] RE: possible AFB contaminant

Della Speranza, Vinnie dellav <@t> musc.edu
Fri May 21 12:39:24 CDT 2010

Do you use DI water in your flotation baths ?

If your DI system is not already so equipped, install a 0.5 micron filter where you withdraw the water and be sure to change this filter monthly.

I'm willing to bet the bugs are on the slides before the stain is performed

Vinnie Della Speranza
Manager for Anatomic Pathology Services
Medical University of South Carolina
165 Ashley Avenue  Suite 309
Charleston, South Carolina 29425
Tel: (843) 792-6353
Fax: (843) 792-8974

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Debra.Ortiz <@t> uchospitals.edu
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2010 3:41 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] possible AFB contaminant

Please help, we have had an increase in demands for repeats on our AFB stain. Our pathologists have been noticing what they believe are "false positives" on our slides. We perform our AFBs on the Ventana Nexus and some are done by hand. Because of this problem, we have been doing side by side comparisons using the Nexus and hand stain.
We still have complaints. We have made new reagents, changed kits, tested our DI water sytem and have different techs cutting using different waterbaths.
Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Debi

This e-mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential.
If the reader of this e-mail message is not the intended recipient, you are
communication is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
notify the sender and destroy all copies of the transmittal.

Thank you
University of Chicago Medical Center