[Histonet] IHC Validation (again)

Liz Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Wed May 19 15:41:36 CDT 2010

Laurie

I'm not aware of a particular question, but I would believe you would
have to perform some validation steps for each antibody.  I would
approach it the same way you approach validating new lots of antisera.
The CAP paper on standardization of IHC recommends 25 different samples
when you initially validate an antibody - 10 samples that have high
levels of target antigen, 10 intermediate to low levels and 5 negative.
To revalidate new lots they recommend only 3 tissue samples - 1 high, 1
med to low, and 1 negative.  Granted this only applies to routine
markers.  For prognostic markers such as ER/PR and Her2 then additional
samples need to be tested - there are new guidelines for ER/ER out and
the new recommendations for validation for ER/ER are briefly reviewed in
the CAP Today April issue.  Guidelines for validation of ER/PR will be
published in the June issue of Archives of Pathology and Laboratory
Medicine.

Liz

Manager
Premier Laboratory, LLC