[Histonet] Gastric biopsies

Weems, Joyce JWeems <@t> sjha.org
Thu May 13 08:37:44 CDT 2010

For H. pylori we do a Genta, which is a modified Steiner, with Alcian blue and H & E over it.

I've finally gotten the docs to wait to make sure they need specials on everything else, so as not to waste. J

Joyce Weems
Pathology Manager
Saint Joseph's Hospital
5665 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30342
678-843-7376 - Phone
678-843-7831 - Fax

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of susanfplaza <@t> aim.com
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 21:57
To: cls71877 <@t> sbcglobal.net; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Gastric biopsies

We routinely do PAS with and without digestion, Trichrome and Iron on liver biopsies.  Some doctors I've worked with preferred an Alcian Yellow/Toluidine Blue or a Giemsa for H. Pylori.  We occasionally did H. Pylori using immunohistochemistry.  We also do Iron stains on all bone marrow smears (fixed in methanol) and biopsies.  Hope this helps.

Susan Plaza, HT (ASCP), QIHC