[Histonet] Xylene substitutes

Brandi Higgins brandihiggins <@t> gmail.com
Wed May 12 10:50:27 CDT 2010

We use Formula 83 and are very happy with it.  We use it exclusively in the
VIP processor and to deparaffinize before staining.  We also use as clearing
agent after staining, prior to coverslipping, but have found that we still
need the last container before coverslipping to be xylene for best results.
Otherwise a film develops, and air bubbles are more prominent.  I tried
switching to another xylene substitute because it was slightly less
expensive, but it was not satisfactory and we went straight back to Formula
83.

Hope this helps.
Brandi Higgins, B.S. HT(ASCP)