[Histonet] CYP.07680 - cytology cross contamination

DKBoyd <@t> chs.net DKBoyd <@t> chs.net
Wed May 12 07:42:08 CDT 2010

Brandi,
Body effusions have a high potential for cross contamination during the
staining procedure.  Body fluids ie:  pleural fluid, peritoneal fluid,
etc.  For that reason they are not stained with other non-gyn specimens
ie:  bronch. wash, esoph. brush, CSF etc.  Also after the staining all
solutions up to the 95% before the OG-6 are dumped and refilled.
The Hematoxylin, OG-6 and EA65 are filtered.  The 95% after the EA-65 is
dumped and alcohols are rotated up.
This should prevent cross contamination.  Written documentation should be
your procedure and proof that you are changing/filtering solutions.

Debbie M. Boyd, HT(ASCP) l Chief Histologist l Southside Regional Medical
Center I
200 Medical Park Boulevard l Petersburg, Va.  23805 l T: 804-765-5050 l F:
804-765-5582 l dkboyd <@t> chs.net

Brandi Higgins <brandihiggins <@t> gmail.com>
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
05/11/2010 03:28 PM

histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
cc

Subject
[Histonet] CYP.07680 - cytology cross contamination

Hello all,

For CAP policy CYP.07680 for "procedures to prevent cross-contamination of
specimens during processing and staining" - what are your labs doing?

 I work in a small lab so the histotechs process the cytology specimens
and
the pathologists read the slides (we have no PA's or cytoprep techs or
cytotechs to screen slides).  We also process only non-GYN, so we don't
have
to worry about GYN/non-GYN cross contamination.

The notes under this policy say procedures must prevent
cross-contamination
between highly cellular specimens and suggest the screening method of
toluidine blue stain to determing if specimens are highly cellular.

Does anyone use the toluidine blue for this purpose?  If so could you tell
me the procedure for toluidine blue you use?  And how do you determing
which
specimens you stain with toluidine blue and what qualifies as highly
cellular.  If so do you retain these toluidine blue slides for any period
of
time?

CAP policy also suggests inserting a clean blank slide in each stain run
and
examine for contamination.  Is anyone doing this?

We have been inspected before with no problems with this CAP question, but
just want to make sure we are doing everything we can to prevent
cross-contamination.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Brandi Higgins, HT (ASCP)