[Histonet] CBG BIOTECH RECYCLER

histotech <@t> imagesbyhopper.com histotech <@t> imagesbyhopper.com
Tue May 4 15:39:49 CDT 2010

Liz,
I am curious, why do you not use the recycled xylene prior to the paraffin
step in the processor?  And why not for cleaning?

I understand not recycling the cleaning alcohol or xylene, or even the first
xylene on the stainer as they have too many contaminants.

Nirmala,
With regards to getting a lower quality of your alcohol, do you check the
water content prior to recycling?  We have found that it's not worth
attempting to recycle any graded alcohols below 95% (that is to say, 70% or
80%).  There is a "dilute" alcohol setting that can be used, but you will
need the CBG folks to tell you how to access that one.  It's there though!

Michelle

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Liz Chlipala
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 11:44 AM
To: srishan <@t> mail.holyname.org; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] CBG BIOTECH RECYCLER

Nirmala

We have the CBG recycler also.  We initially started recycling both alcohol
and xylene, but we now only recycle alcohol.  We ended up with so much
recycled xylene that we could not use.  Also you can not use the recycled
xylene on the last xylene station in the tissue processor, or for cleaning.
It just did not work out for us for the xylene.  We rotate our xylenes and
alcohols weekly so we are always putting on one fresh absolute and one fresh
xylene, there was never a place for us to use the recycled xylene, so we
ended up with lots of it.  If you change your entire tissue processor then
you could put a recycled xylene in place of your first xylene and then use
fresh xylene for the last station.  We do recycle the alcohol.  We get about
95% alcohol out of the recycler - we test it for percentage of alcohol via a
hydrometer and for contamination with xylene by adding water to a small
portion of it. We only use it for 95% or less so we make up our 50%, 70% and
80% alcohol from the recycled alcohol, these solutions do go on our tissue
processor and in the staining set up and they seem to work just fine. To be
honest we do not keep track of how many times the alcohol has been recycled
we just keep recycling it.

As for disposal we have a really cool flammable cabinet that houses a 55
gallon drum, the drum is on rollers so it can be moved easily. All of our
waste goes in there its picked up whenever it is full.  We use Source/AET
Environmental to dispose of all our liquid waste.

Liz

Manager
Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592