[Histonet] specimen disposal

Gervaip <@t> aol.com Gervaip <@t> aol.com
Mon May 3 21:53:49 CDT 2010

Hi, can you tell me the correct/safe way to dispose of the formalin fixed
specimens?  The fixed specimens should be considered hazardous waste, but
the formalin is a chemical hazard.  I think having biohazard waste company
that burns these specimens with formalin .  According to MSDS we should be
able to burn the formalin and safely dispose of it that way.  The large
volumes of formalin off the processors is neutralized before disposal.  But  we
are trying to avoid the labor intensive, hazardous  job of emptying each
specimen container.  That is hazardous exposure since we have no work area  to
do this in safely.  So, to finally get to the point, why can we not  throw
all the specimens in formalin into biohazard waste bags and  containers?

Pearl
"Dance like no one is  watching"