[Histonet] mouse perfusion rate

Charles.Scouten <@t> leica-microsystems.com Charles.Scouten <@t> leica-microsystems.com
Mon Mar 29 13:26:58 CDT 2010

I have perfused mice and rats at 300 mm Hg, about double physiological
level, don't know what that made the flow rate.  All mammals have the
same blood pressure (within tolerances), so it is easier to select a
suitable pressure to use than a flow rate, which varies dramatically.

I look at brain, never pay any attention to the gut.  Clear fluid comes
out the nose, that is a good sign.  There are pressure release valves
across the cribiform plate to release CSF if there is too much.  I am
flooding the system, fluid coming out the nose means the extracellular
fluid and CSF is being replaced as well as vascular blood.  Good.

The tissue is quality is excellent, free of red blood cells, can be
unshrunk depending on the tonicity (should be sub isotonic) of the
fixative fluid.  Have looked at Nissl and EM material, no evidence of
damage to the tissue.

If gut is extended, might have something to do with the large intestines
job of removing fluid from feces, and flooding the system swells the
tissue.  But does it matter?  Do you use that tissue?  What is the
tissue quality if you use it after physiological pressure perfusion.

Cordially,

Charles W. Scouten, Ph.D

Product Manager, MNL

Biosystems Division

Leica Biosystems Richmond, Inc.
5205 Route 12
P.O. Box 528
Richmond, IL 60071
United States of America

Telephone 630 964 0501

facsimile +1 630 964 0576

www.MyNeuroLab.com <http://www.myneurolab.com/>

www.leica-microsystems.com <http://www.leica-microsystems.com/>

IMPORTANT - This email and any attachments may be confidential. Any
retransmissions, dissemination or other use of

these materials by persons or entities other than the intended recipient
is prohibited. If received in error, please contact

us and delete all copies. Before opening or using attachments, check
them for viruses and defects. Our liability is limited

to resupplying any affected attachments. [Any representations or
opinions expressed in this email are those of the

individual sender].