[Histonet] mouse perfusion rate

Joseph Saby saby_joseph_a <@t> yahoo.com
Sat Mar 27 19:03:53 CDT 2010

All-

From previous work with rat perfusions, the flow rate was about 10 ml/minute.  If I had to guess, the equivalent flow rate for a mouse would be closer to 1-3 mls/10 minutes.  If you go 10 ml/minute, you will definitely cause blowout artefacts.

Joe Saby, BA HT

________________________________
From: Merced M Leiker <leiker <@t> buffalo.edu>
To: Charles.Scouten <@t> leica-microsystems.com; making <@t> ufl.edu; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Fri, March 19, 2010 9:21:38 AM
Subject: RE: [Histonet] mouse perfusion rate

The vasculature will leak too much and the mouse will get bloated - you'll
see it first in either the intestines blowing up like a balloon or fluid
coming out of the nose. Just not the same as the heart pumping when the
mouse is alive with intact physiology and normal functioning.  Don't know
exactly why, but that's what happens when you go too fast.  Perhaps the
vasculature has lost its control to compensate for the pressure? I'm not a
physiologist so I'm not sure why...maybe someone on the Histonet can answer
that?

Regards,
Merced

--On Thursday, March 18, 2010 5:49 PM -0500