[Histonet] histo techs doing cyto prep work

Lynette Pavelich lpaveli1 <@t> hurleymc.com
Fri Mar 26 12:14:14 CDT 2010

I have worked in union hospital for almost 39 yrs.  Back then, there
were no cytotechs and the pathologists read out all the cytology slides.
 As a result, the cytoprep was in our contract to perform.  Years later,
when we did get cytotechs, they preferred to do all of their prep.  10
years later, they are so swamped, that we are going to take the prep
back.  As it is in our contract to still perform this task, there is no
choice there.  In my opinion, ideally, a prep tech should be hired
instead.  Histotechnology has greatly evolved over the years, and much
more is required of us, such as IHC, ISH and more.  While it is always
good to know these procedures so you can step in if the need arises, a
prep tech is a better business choice.  In my opinion.....!!

Happy Friday,
Lynette
>>> Kim Tournear <kimtournear <@t> yahoo.com> 3/26/2010 12:42 PM >>>
Hi all,
I'm curious!! How many of you histotechs are being trained or already
know how to do cyto prep work? And how many of you histo supervisors are
now supervising cytology labs in addition to the histology lab?

Is cross training histotechs to be cyto prep techs (in addition to
their histo job) becoming more popular?

I welcome any and all responses...

~Kim Tournear ~ HT (ASCP), QIHC (ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
Tucson Medical Center
Tucson,  AZ
~Don't let your life end before it begins~
OU Rocks!!!!