[Histonet] Re: number of slides

Robert Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 12:43:21 CDT 2010

Anita Dudley, Providence Hospital, Mobile Alabama asks:

>>Just wondering what others were doing with colon [biopsies, endometrial biopsies], ECC's. Do you use one slide or cut 2 to 3 slides per block? Lungs and livers too. We are thinking of going to one slide.<<

Do your pathologists have any input into this decision? (Often we don't.)

I've worked on a large number of pathology services, and I take what I
can get. Currently I'm getting one short ribbon on one slide. We've
probably lost an account lately because of this curtailed examination.

All of the cases you and others have mentioned should get at least two
slides, preferably with two ribbons on a slide, plus whatever routine
special stains the specimen requires.

It's better for pathologists to have some input, given that we're the
actual users of the slides, but we're pretty far down the management
food chain.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN