[Histonet] Contamination..processor?

Thomas Jasper tjasper <@t> copc.net
Wed Mar 24 12:31:23 CDT 2010

Hi Brandi,

Don't know if I can solve your problem...but here's a few questions.

1)You've determined that the floater (tonsil cells in this case) are in
the block.  Did you determine this because you consistently see the same
floater in the same spot, level after level, slide after slide?

2)Do you use a forceps warmer at your embedding station?  If so, have
the wells of that warmer been cleaned out lately?  It can be a source of
floaters.

3)Do you have 2 processors?  If so, are you running separate programs
(on separate machines of course) for large and small specimens?  If you
can do this and you are not, you might want to consider it.

4)While it's possible you could be picking something up from your
processor, I would not be initially suspect of it.  Are you running
clean runs after processing runs?  If you are this should basically take
care of any residual tissue floaters that may have gotten out of a
(tonsil) block, or any other block for that matter.

You embedded the GI biopsies first, so I would not suspect the embedding
center work surfaces to be a source of your tonsil floater.  Some
machines have little grooves to allow waste paraffin to drain off,
sometimes things can be trapped there.  Also, you say that the
pathologist grossed the tonsils after the GI's.  I believe you and
him/her, but was anything else grossed before the GI's?  Some type of
lymphatic tissue?  I tend to look to the grossing bench 1st for the
source of floaters because once it's done there, it shows up everywhere
else.  Also, when techs cut and embed, they have no choice but to cut
and embed whatever they're given.  There is no way to determine if what
you might be looking at is a floater.  And more often than not, when
cutting and embedding you've inherited a floater as opposed to
introducing one.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Tom Jasper

Thomas Jasper HT (ASCP) BAS
Histology Supervisor
Central Oregon Regional Pathology Services
Bend, Oregon 97701
541/693-2677
tjasper <@t> copc.net