[Histonet] PA baby sitter

Mike Pence mpence <@t> grhs.net
Tue Mar 23 16:25:19 CDT 2010

I hit it straight on Jeff!

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Silverman
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 4:19 PM
To: Rick.Garnhart <@t> memorialhealthsystem.com
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] PA baby sitter

I had to laugh when I read this one. I'm a PA grossing 8500 surgicals per year in a busy general hospital so it's not just biopsies but lots of major organ resections with tons of orthopedics. I work with two histotechnologists. Not only do I close my own cassettes, I accession most specimens, make my own cassettes,  save and dispose of the surgical leftover tissues, serve as histology supervisor and laboratory safety officer for all sections attending all the associated meetings that those two entail, often embed at least half of the tissues and pitch in whenever I'm needed in histo- cutting and running automated specials.

Having said that, if there's anyone in Europe looking for such a person and can pay 60K euro per annum , I'd love to meet you.  I'm in the opposite boat of Malika. Hey, wanna trade jobs?

The techs are at my beck and call to bring me things I need,  like more acetone or formalin and/or  to attend to whatever other help I need, but no one ever sits with me to close the cassettes and feed me specimens.  I agree with the accountability issues involved in lost or mishandled tissue. What happens when the aide is off, do they expect  a histotech to come in to close the cassettes for the PA.
And the productivity increase for such assistance can't be more than 5% IMHO based on my experience.

Jeff Silverman