[Histonet] technologist productivity

Tench, Bill Bill.Tench <@t> pph.org
Wed Mar 17 15:47:25 CDT 2010

I apologize in advance if I offend anyone with this inevitably touchy
question.

In the last two years we have lost one "older" histotechnologist, and
the routine reliable services of another of that group and are now
facing the issue of what can be expected from their replacements.  I
have little feel for this other than my experience with these and other
previous employees, so I am hoping that some of you would be willing to
share your thoughts/data with me either in response on this listserv, or
alternatively "off line" directly to my email address.  I am interested
in some numbers on how many blocks one could expect to have embedded
within an hour, with break down for simple larger or single pieces vs
multiple small bx's like GI bx's or prostate needle bx's.  I am looking
for similar information in regard to the number of sections one could
expect to be cut in an hour from routine blocks (and for this purpose,
small and large bxs should be included in the same analysis-there is so
much variation in regard to the number of sections that labs routinely
cut from "smalls", so just a general mix of the number of slides would
be helpful.)  Thank you in advance for sharing-we are just trying to
maintain reasonable expectations from our new/replacement technologists.

Bill Tench

Associate Dir. Laboratory Services

Chief, Cytology Services

Palomar Medical Center

555 E. Valley Parkway

Escondido, California  92025

Bill.Tench <@t> pph.org

Voice: 760- 739-3037

Fax: 760-739-2604

mail2.pph.org made the following annotations
Confidential E-Mail:  This e-mail is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from disclosure.  Dissemination, distribution, or copying of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail, and destroy the original message and all copies.