[Histonet] HPS Stain

Diana McCaig dmccaig <@t> ckha.on.ca
Wed Mar 17 11:18:03 CDT 2010

I think there is confusion regarding the original question posed.  They
were not asking about the HPS stain.  Some hospitals use an
eosin/saffron stain in their routine H&E.  I had another lab recently
asking about the formula to prepare this solution instead of eosin.  Any
advise?

Diana

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Gagnon,
Eric
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 12:14 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] HPS Stain

Hi Sheila,

HPS (Hematoxylin-Phloxine-Saffron) is the routine stain we use.  There
are a few institutions in Canada that also still use this stain; around
Ottawa and a few other places in Ontario and Quebec.  Perhaps one of
these institutions sent slides to your pathologist for referral/consult?

It is quite a nice trichrome stain, but somewhat more complex and
expensive, uses more staining dishes, and it's sometimes tricky to get a
proper phloxine/saffron balance.  Due to the use of H&E being more
widespread, our pathology residents usually ask for H&E slides for their
files when preparing for exams.

Eric Gagnon MLT
Histology Laboratory
Kingston General Hospital