[Histonet] Re: Gas in Biohazard hood - safety issue

Stephen Kum Jew stevenk <@t> med.usyd.edu.au
Sun Mar 14 17:33:06 CDT 2010

    One of our research labs has had tissue culture contamination problems.
One solution is to install a gas connection to flame the glass pipettes to
improve sterility.

    Apart from the usual problems of upsetting the air flow within the
biohazard cabinet, I was wondering if the unburnt gas will build up to a
dangerous level within a closed recirculating air situation.

    I have not found any incidents on the web about gas explosions in hoods.

    I am waiting a reply from the manufacturer.

    Has anyone had experience on this?

    Thanks
    Stephen