[Histonet] RE: Histo Professionals Day

Bartlett, Jeanine (CDC/OID/NCZVED) jqb7 <@t> cdc.gov
Wed Mar 10 10:44:41 CST 2010

I was in college in Tennessee and my advisor wanted me to make a
decision on a career path.  I was interested in science but not in being
a nurse or a physician.  She suggested I look into laboratory sciences:
histology, medical technology and cytology.  I visited a hospital and
toured the labs.  I immediately knew when I entered the histo lab (and
smelled the xylene) that I was where I needed to be.  That was in 1975.

Jeanine Bartlett
Infectious Diseases Pathology Branch
(404) 639-3590
jeanine.bartlett <@t> cdc.hhs.gov

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Shirley
A. Powell
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:41 AM
To: Breeden, Sara; histonet
Subject: [Histonet] RE: Histo Professionals Day

In 1962 I had completed my first year at Georgia and needed to
supplement my tuition since my parents could not foot the whole bill for
my next year.  I got a job at a furniture store as a
bookkeeper/secretary.  It took me a week to figure out it was not my
future profession.  The friend I was rooming with at the time worked in
the histology lab at the main hospital.  She told me there was an
opening and I jumped at the chance to change jobs.  I had no idea what
histology was, but she said "oh you will like it."  She did not stay in
the profession and quit 6 months after I started.  I stayed, so I kind
of stumbled into the histology profession and will have been in it for
48 years in July.  I was certified HT(ASCP) in 1964, HTL(ASCP) in 1981
and QIHC in 2000.
That's  my story and I am sticking to it.
Shirley