[Histonet] RE: Histo Professionals Day

O'Donnell, Bill billodonnell <@t> catholichealth.net
Wed Mar 10 10:33:02 CST 2010

 Just a quick note. I too served with Tom, and worked as an MLT in
hematology, PM shift. Every test was STAT (and so none were STAT, these
were the days most everything was done with minimal automation. We did
about 150 CBC's and diffs plus UA, platelets and coags with a staff of
2. And I think we are LEAN now!. And so one evening, when a doctor
called for results on a STAT still waiting to be logged in, I asked him
"what makes your blankety-blank STAT any more blankity blank STAT than
the others"? Presto-chango, the next day I was in histology where the
phone never rang! And day time hours! Loved it, primarily because of the
clowns Tom mentioned and the almost total lack of automation. Stayed in
the field and still enjoy it.

William (Bill) O'Donnell, HT (ASCP) QIHC
Lead Histologist
Good Samaritan Hospital
10 East 31st Street
Kearney, NE 68847

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Podawiltz, Thomas
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 10:18 AM
To: Breeden, Sara; histonet
Subject: [Histonet] RE: Histo Professionals Day

I got into Histology while I was in the Navy. I was out of MLT school by
about three maybe four months, when my wife who was also active duty
finally got transferred to the same base as I. There were two openings
for her, Blood Bank and Histology. The Navy did not want to put a Med
Tech in lowly Histology and we did not want her working for the Officer
in charge of Blood Bank. She had previously work for him at another base
where his management style got him removed from the lab.

So I gave up my position in Hematology and went to Histology, were I met
the biggest group of clowns ever. That was 1981. Certified 1985.  Took
several years off and went into sales. Came back to Histology in 2004
and found that my skills were still there and more important the love
for Histology.

Tom Podawiltz, HT (ASCP)
Histology Section Head/Laboratory Safety Officer LRGHealthcare
603-524-3211 ext: 3220