[Histonet] Butyl alcohol

Michael Folsom mwfolsom <@t> rgbio.com
Tue Mar 9 10:17:51 CST 2010

Hi:

I'm not sure if this helps but Botanists have long used tert-butanol
(not N-butanol) to embed tissue in paraffin.  This classic  protocol was
popularized by D. A. Johansen in the mid 1930's and involves transition
from water to alcohol to t-butanol (I can supply more detailed info if
you need it).  Once in 100% t-butanol tissue is transitioned to light
paraffin oil.  The final stage involves filling some large shell vials
1/3 full with paraffin and letting them harden.  Tissue plus paraffin
oil is added to the vials (volume of paraffin oil + tissue should be be
approximately equal to the amount of paraffin).  Vials are now placed in
an oven for paraffin to melt and infiltration to begin.  Besides doing
enough changes of paraffin to infiltrate the tissue and remove all the
paraffin oil that's about it.  From there its the old embed, section and
enjoy!

Hope this helps -

Mike Folsom
Rio Grande Biological