[Histonet] Negative controls

Edwards, Richard E. ree3 <@t> leicester.ac.uk
Fri Mar 5 03:14:30 CST 2010

So if  one  is  doing  an  immunostaining staining run with say, 10 different  primary antibodies, at  different dilutions, would you  have the  the  same number of different dilutions of the  Biocare universal control, or  just  have  the  one  at  the least dilute, say  1/10??, thanks.

                                                           Richard  Edwards

                                                                     Leicester University....U.K..

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Drew Sally A
Sent: 04 March 2010 16:02
To: Histonet
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Negative controls

Yes, Linda and I select the harshest protocol in the list of antibodies
we're running per case-we figure that the harshest will produce the
biggest problems with background, etc.

Sally Ann Drew, MT(ASCP)
IHC/ISH Clinical & Research Laboratory
UWHC
600 Highland Ave. DB1-223, Mail Code 3224
Madison, WI 53792
(608)265-6596
Fax:(608)262-7174

Hi Anita,

We are currently examining the negative control issue in our laboratory.
We also have Ventanas. We currently use a normal goat serum as our
"non-immune" serum.  We are considering changing our SOP's to use the
Ventana Neg Control Rabbit and Neg Control Mouse in dispensers.

Linda's suggestion of Biocare's Universal Negative Control Serum is
intriguing.  It would seem regressive to go back to the days of
delineating mouse/rabbit antisera, using separate dispensers for each,
and a universal negative seems to be the way to go, especially when
using universal DAB kits.  Using such a reagent would mean it could be
applied to each case's negative control slide.

Linda or others, would such a negative control serum protocol include
your most aggressive pretreatment?

Eric Gagnon MLT
Histology Laboratory
Kingston General Hospital