[Histonet] Cryostat better than others?

Fairbairn, Patricia fairbairnp <@t> neurosurg.ucsf.edu
Thu Mar 4 13:58:31 CST 2010

Hi All,

Are there any cryostat makes that seem to be more reliable than others? We have not been having much luck with our particular Microms after moving them cross-country, getting recalled, catching on fire, corroding, etc. While one machine serves as an excellent calendar stand (with padded resting pads and everything!) and our other one just went down at the ripe age of 2, I would rather purchase machines that work without costing us so much in repairs. ...or are we just jinxed?

Also, how long do cryostats tend to last? What do you think of service contracts? I keep hearing that they are pretty much worthless and that the cryostat "should" be fine if it's served once a year.

Thank you!

PJ Fairbairn
Staff Research Associate
Department of Neurological Surgery
Brain and Spinal Injury Center
University of California at San Francisco

fairbairnp <@t> neurosurg.ucsf.edu <mailto:fairbairnp <@t> neurosurg.ucsf.edu>