[Histonet] Histology techs grossing in specimens???

Katelin Lester histology <@t> medsurgpath.com
Fri Jun 25 10:52:58 CDT 2010

We do all of our grossing and use the CLIA regulations:
TESTING PERSONNEL (42 CFR 493 1489)
1. Licensed MD, DO or DPM.
2. Doctorate, master's, or bachelor's in laboratory science.
3. Education and training equivalent to an associate degree in a
laboratory science or medical laboratory technology that includes at least
60 semester hours including 24 semester hrs of medical lab technology and
at least 3 months training in each specialty in which high complexity
testing is performed; or, 60 semester hrs including 24 hrs of
science that includes 6 hrs chemistry, 6 hrs biology, and 12 hrs
chemistry, biology or, medical lab tech in any combination and laboratory
training that includes either: completion of a clinical lab
training program and at least 3 months training in each specialty in which
high complexity testing is performed.

It is my understanding that if there is no cutting involved (i.e. counting
and measuring GI biopsies) it is not considered a "high complexity" task
and anyone in the lab would be able to "gross" in that regard.

Katelin Lester, HTL(ASCP)
MedSurg Pathology Associates, Inc.
(503)443-2157