[Histonet] New CAP question ANP.22760

JMyers1 <@t> aol.com JMyers1 <@t> aol.com
Tue Jun 22 20:50:42 CDT 2010

Tom:

As much as I agree with your acknowledgment that its seems a bit odd for
the CAP to have a blood-banker responding to AP-related issue, I'm actually
not surprised.  The folks in the 'clinical' lab have been performing more
comprehensive and complex validation procedures for a very long time, and they
wonder why IHC isn't expected to follow the same requirements as chemistry,
immunology, etc. -- IHC is, after all, an awful lot like ELISA.  And
rightfully so, because IHC is, under CLIA (which supersedes CAP), considered
highly-complex, non-waived testing -- and is, therefore, subject to the same
Quality Systems regulations (in particular, 42CFR493.1252-1256, 1273, and 1281) as
the testing performed in other areas of the lab.

Could it be that, because AP produces qualitative results that are
interpreted by a pathologist and CP produces quantitative results that are
interpreted by an analyzer, we somehow think that CLIA rules don't apply to IHC?  I
certainly don't have the answer to that, but it make me wonder what the
future holds.  As witnessed by some of the newest CAP 'standards' (including the
question in question...no pun intended), e.g. ER/PR, where a minimum of 20
positive and 20 negative specimens must be tested, and where 10 of the
positives must be weakly positive -- an acknowledgment that validation specimens
must be carefully selected in order to obtain appropriate results), it
certainly doesn't appear that the regulation of IHC testing is going to become
more relaxed.

Joe Myers, M.S., CT(ASCP)

Message: 12