[Histonet] Disposal of MMA & BPO Waste

Jack Ratliff ratliffjack <@t> hotmail.com
Mon Jun 21 15:37:15 CDT 2010

I would just like to say that I personally disagree with the heating of the MMA @ 60C and then subsequently @ 80C. The fumes that will be generated are toxic enough without heat so heating of the solution is a recipie for disaster! Also, it was not mentioned if the weigh boat was aluminum or plastic or if the oven was placed in a hood or well ventilated or isolated room.

If you simply add 10-15 grams of catalyst to approximately 1000 - 1500 mL to the waste MMA solution and leave in the hood overnight or even over the weekend to polymerize with the cap off, you will be safe. This is approximately 1 - 1.5% w/w concentration of catalyst to solution, well below the 10% as suggested in the comment below. You could even do as Pam suggests and place the container in a bucket as an extra precaution (without a lid) in case the glass was to break. Just did 2 bottles over the weekend and I have been doing this safely for the past 13 + years.

Jack