[Histonet] Disposal of MMA & BPO Waste

Jack Ratliff ratliffjack <@t> hotmail.com
Mon Jun 21 06:35:06 CDT 2010

The simple thing to do is just polymerize the waste. I am not sure of the volume of waste that you mention in your message, but I routinely polymerize my MMA waste and then safely discard for glass disposal.

1)  I fill a 2 - 2.5 L glass amber bottle (usually bottle that MMA comes in originally) with approximately 1.5 L of MMA waste

2)  add 10-15 g of a benzoyl peroxide based catalyst (Perkadox 16)

3)  cap and mix throughly (shaking or swirling) until catalyst is dissolved into solution

4)  place the glass container in the hood on a disposable piece of lab bench paper (keep a clean air space free around container)

5)  UN CAP BOTTLE (very important step here as polymerization can be explosive due to the exothermic reation of the solution)

6)  allow to sit freely for 2-3 days until solution is completely polymerized

7)  after polymerization, turn bottle on side and allow to vent for 1-2 days (may or may not be a necessary step)

8)  cap bottle and discard with broken glass

Hope this helps and please ask more questions if you need further clarification or explanation.

Jack