[Histonet] HTL exam

Morken, Tim Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org
Thu Jul 29 17:32:34 CDT 2010

Brian,

What helped me a lot with stains, fixatives, etc, was to make a chart of each of the stain or fixative "families" (silver, trichromes, etc) and list the method steps of each, components used, and purpose of the components. That put in perspective the reasons for the differences, which are mysteries otherwise!

I also used the NSH study guides, and any other book or study guide I could find to refer to.

I was also lucky that I had a group of four people who were studying for the test and we spent a YEAR in a once-weekly study group going through each chapter in detail (Sheehan at that time). That was great for motivation and staying on track.

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Histology / IPOX
UCSF Medical Center
San Francisco, CA

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of brian1975 <@t> email.com
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 2:08 PM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] HTL exam

Does anyone have any advice on good study aids, areas of prep to concentrate on, or any test taking strategies that helped them? I have been pouring  over the 3rd ed of "histotechnology, a self instructional text" for months but since I have started to look at the ASCP/ NSH discussion boards im getting the feeling that it is just not enough. Thanks for any help.

-Brian