[Histonet] Refrigerate formalin?

Johnson, Nacaela Nacaela.Johnson <@t> USONCOLOGY.COM
Thu Jul 29 07:49:02 CDT 2010

I had a retic kit that was put in the refrigerator by one of my
collegues.  The formalin was stated to be stored at room temp, but was
left in the box.  The cold temperature broke the formalin down and it no
longer worked to reduce the silver.  My suggestion would be to keep them
at room temperature to be on the safe side.

Thanks,

Nacaela Johnson
Histology Technician
KCCC Pathology
12000 110th St., Ste. 400
Overland Park, KS 66210
Office:  913-234-0576
Fax:  913-433-7639
Email:  Nacaela.Johnson <@t> USOncology.com

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Breeden,
Sara
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 3:41 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Refrigerate formalin?

We're getting ready to move into our new building (YAHOO!) in early
September - finally.  In planning where we will store our cases for the
required 6-week retention time, I have proposed that the tissues (in 10%
NBF) be shelved in the walk-in cooler (4 degrees C).   Is there any
reason tissues-in-formalin could NOT be stored refrigerated for that
length of time?  It is extremely rare that we are required to pull and
recut wet tissue, but that possibility always exists.  Thanks, everyone.

Sally Breeden, HT(ASCP)

Veterinary Diagnostic Services

New Mexico Department of Agriculture

700 Camino de Salud NE