[Histonet] Brain Problems

Poole, Kimberly Kimberly.Poole <@t> drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Jul 27 09:27:58 CDT 2010

Hi there,

I am currently using rat brain for histology but something is not working. I follow the protocol below for tissue processing.

Station

Solution

Routine (mins)

1

Formalin

10

2

Formalin

10

3

70% Ethanol

60

4

80% Ethanol

240

5

96% Ethanol

240

6

100% Ethanol

240

7

Xylene

120

8

Xylene

120

9

Xylene

120

10

Paraffin Wax

120

11

Paraffin Wax

180

12

Paraffin Wax

180

TOTAL TIME

27 hours 20 minutes

I embedded my brains and then cut them afterwards. When the brain section hits the water, it looks like a blob of fat on the water. Then it spreads reall, really slowly. If a cut is made to the paraffin the brain bursts open and it falls apart. Am I doing something wrong in the processing stage? Is the tissue dehydrated too much. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Kimberly Poole B.Sc

Casualty Management Section | Section de la gestion des blessés

Defence Research and Development Canada Suffield | Recherche et développement pour la défense Canada Suffield

Medicine Hat, AB, Canada T1A 8K6

kimberly.poole <@t> drdc-rddc.gc.ca <mailto:kimberly.poole <@t> drdc-rddc.gc.ca>

Telephone | Téléphone 403-544-5347 / Facsimile | Télécopieur 403-544-4714