[Histonet] Artifacts in histology section

Kim.Donadio <@t> bhcpns.org Kim.Donadio <@t> bhcpns.org
Mon Jul 26 10:57:58 CDT 2010

It's very difficult to diagnosis a problem such as this without hands on.
But one thing that I noticed years ago that was so simple could cause
this. A build up of tissues on the back of the blade holder. Worth a look.

Kim Donadio
Pathology Supervisor
Baptist Hospital
1000 W Moreno St.
Pensacola FL 32501
Phone (850) 469-7718
Fax (850) 434-4996

Joseph Saby <saby_joseph_a <@t> yahoo.com>
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
07/25/2010 12:49 PM

Aazath Raj <aazath <@t> hotmail.com>, histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
cc

Subject
Re: [Histonet] Artifacts in histology section

What you are describing might be microchatter.  These will be sharp
parallel
lines/cracks that run parallel to the knife edge and are only visible
under the
microscope.

The usuall cause is a combination of overprocessing and rough facing that
is too
aggressive and/or with too dull a blade.  Overprocessing makes the tissue
very
hard and somewhat brittle.  The thick sections/dull knife cause the tissue
compress and then release, causing the chatter.  The actual danage is in
the
block face.

Once you have the problem in a block, if the tissue is thick enough, you
might
be able to repeatedly soak the block in ice water and gently (with a
fairly
sharp knife) reface.  With luck, you might be able to get through the
damaged
block face.

Another artifact I have seen is similar, but the chatter appears very
blurry.
This is usually caused be poor fixation/processing, then oversoaking the
blocks
after facing.  The trick here is to reface the block, then chill it
without
exposure to water.  I've sectioned such blocks after placing them in a
freezer
to chill them thoroughly.  This will help to obtain a section, but may not
fix
the staining problems that might show up later.

Good luck!

Joe Saby, BA HT