[Histonet] Water collecting at bottom of sections

Sebree Linda A LSebree <@t> uwhealth.org
Fri Jul 23 13:42:05 CDT 2010

I routinely "flick" my wrist holding the slide with the section I've
just picked up.  Usually, this is enough force to release any water at
the bottom of the section.   If that doesn't work  I melt a tiny hole at
the bottom of the section with a heated probe and flick again.  I'm sure
the manufacturer is right in saying that its the coating; the paraffin
adheres too well and too quickly to the slide trapping water underneath.
It is also very important to hold your slides as vertically as possible
when bringing them under your section and raising the slide out of the
water bath.  That way you will trap as little water as possible
underneath.

Hope this helps.

>From one long-time-microtomist to another,

Linda A. Sebree
University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics
IHC/ISH Laboratory
DB1-223 VAH
600 Highland Ave.
Madison, WI 53792