[Histonet] biohazard bags

Rathborne, Toni trathborne <@t> somerset-healthcare.com
Fri Jul 23 07:04:48 CDT 2010

I agree. We never re-use them at my facility.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Stacy
McLaughlin
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2010 3:38 PM
To: Jeff Birkner; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] biohazard bags

Re-use of specimen transport bio-bags is a big NO-NO in my laboratory.  You run the risk of accidentally using one that is contaminated. (This actually happened, and it was not a pretty sight.)
You can't guarantee that the outside of that specimen container in the bag is not contaminated, even though it looks clean.  You don't know the practices of the person that collected it.  This could be a big liability and the possible consequences just aren't worth it.
Just my 2 cents.
Stacy