[Histonet] Re: test animal vs. plant

Birgitta Stephenson bstephen <@t> fastmail.fm
Thu Jul 22 05:19:05 CDT 2010

Hello Tamara,

Thanks for your reply. In the lab we have worked with the carbohydrate
ideas, so travelling down the same path. With the grindstones we are
looking for some tests that we can also carry out in the field as
sometimes we have grinding hollows or stones in situ which can not be
moved. This is why we thought simple visual staining and utilising a
hand held digital microscope could be the answer. However the staining
is not as straight forward as we'd hoped. I am thinking that if the
Phloroglucinol is light sensitive then perhaps counterstaining with
Toluidine Blue can highlight other areas. Problem is the residues are
water lifted and drowning the slide with tap water (well drops of) means
that the residue at times almost vanishes. Any more thoughts are most
welcome.

Thnaks again

Birgitta Stephenson

Research Microscopy Lab, University of Queensland

--
  Birgitta Stephenson
  bstephen <@t> fastmail.fm

--