[Histonet] Cytology 100 slide limit

Rathborne, Toni trathborne <@t> somerset-healthcare.com
Sun Jul 18 08:55:35 CDT 2010

One other thing that must be considered are any cytotechs that have more than one job. You will need to know how many slides were screened at Job A so that the number is not exceeded at Job B. We had this issue when we were interviewing for a per diem cytotech to cover vacations - many could not guarantee that they would be able to screen the expected number of slides.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Feher,
Stephen
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2010 5:58 PM
To: Rene J Buesa; Histonet; Victor Tobias
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Cytology 100 slide limit

Victor,

Rene is correct in stating that CLIA allows Gyn Liquid Based Paps to be counted as 1/2 slide.  It gets tricky when you start mixing 1/2 slide counts and full slide counts in making sure the techs do not exceed 100 slides (or in the case of LBP's 200 slides).  If you get a lot of FNA's the counts can go up very quickly.

Most LIS systems can prevent Techs from exceeding their limit.  I would check again to see why your LIS is not capturing the NON-Gyn slides.  Another CAP and CLIA requirement is that each 6 months, the cytotechs are supposed to have a Competency Assessment where the Medical Director signs off on the maximum number of slides each tech is qualified to screen.  This is the number that most labs place in the LIS as the max that particular tech can review.

What LIS system do you have?

Steve